Seghesio Story - Time Line
Seghesio Family Vineyards has been an integral and evolving part of California's wine industry since the late 1800s. A timeline of that history follows.
1886 - Edoardo Seghesio immigrates to Sonoma County from his native Piedmonte, Italy.
1886-1902 - Edoardo Seghesio works as winemaker at Italian Swiss Colony.
1894 - Edoardo marries Angela Vasconi.
1895 - The young couple purchases a modest home on 56 acres of prime vineyard land in Northern Alexander Valley. The Home Ranch is planted to Zinfandel.
1902 - Construction of Seghesio Winery is completed, and Edoardo and Angela crush their first grapes.
1903 - Wines are shipped via the railroad and sold in San Francisco from horse-drawn carts.
1910 - Additional land is purchased surrounding the train station in Chianti, California, where Edoardo plants Sangiovese and the Chianti field blend. This Chianti Station vineyard is America’s oldest planting of the varietals.
1919 - The Seghesios' disbelief that Prohibition will be enacted prompts them to purchase Italian Swiss Colony and its 1,100 acres six months prior to its start.
1942 - River Road Vineyard in Alexander Valley is purchased.
1949 - The Seghesio family purchases the Scatena Winery in Healdsburg at auction and moves the majority of its operation there.
1957 - Cortina Vineyard in Dry Creek Valley is purchased.
1957 - Brothers Art and Eugene "Pete" take on management of the winery upon Angela's death.
1961 - Keyhole Ranch in Russian River Valley is purchased.
1961-1979 - The Seghesio family produces wine from 50% of the red grapes grown in Sonoma County and sells it to large wineries such as Krug, Martini, Almaden and Roma.
1971 - Lone Oak Vineyard in Alexander Valley is purchased.
1983 - Seghesio bottles its first wines under the family label.
1993 - Cousins Ted and Peter Seghesio shift the winery's focus to quality production with intensive hand-farming and small-lot fermentation.
1995 - The Seghesio family celebrates 100 years as winegrowers.
1997 - Seghesio Family Vineyards opens its tasting room on Grove Street.
2005 - Rattlesnake Hill north vineyard is purchased.
2011 - Seghesio Family Vineyards joins Crimson Wine Group.